/>

October 4, 2014

Soundtrack Saturday #2: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This is a meme hosted by Erin @ The Hardcover Lover. In this meme, I make a soundtrack of about 15 or 20 songs for a book I recently read, provide brief descriptions of the songs and what I feel they represent, and I'll have a link to the Spotify playlist.

This week, I'm doing a classic I recently re-read. I love this book so much. It might sound a little odd, though, with modern music as a soundtrack for a book set in the '30s.


To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee





"In Color" by Jamey Johnson
I picked this one for the setting: the Great Depression. Also, for me, it means that Atticus will always remember the times.
"At the End of the Day" from Les Miserables
This song is about the poor. Again, I picked this for the setting. Since it's from a mega-musical (the whole thing is singing; no speaking), just ignore the parts about Fantine and the plot. ;) Listen for the chorus and the verses the whole cast sings.
"Love Like Crazy" by Lee Brice
This is what Atticus is teaching Jem and Scout: how to live life. I also imagine Atticus and his wife when I listen to it.
"Political Incorrectness" by Kevin Fowler
If you want to go into a deeper meaning with this, you could say that I picked it to go along with the theme of standing up for what's right; you're right, but more than that, I picked it to describe Scout. She doesn't care what other people think, she'll do what she wants.
Note: Sorry, this song isn't on Spotify. But here's a link to it on Youtube.
"Simple Man" by Shinedown (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover)
What Atticus is teaching Jem. He's teaching the same thing to Scout, but with this song, it's more aimed toward Jem.
"Away from the Sun" by 3 Doors Down
This is for Boo Radley. Yes, he literally hides in the house "away from the sun," but listen to the lyrics.
"Naughty" from Matilda (the musical)
This one is to describe Jem, Scout, and Dill. They blatantly disobey Atticus, and sometimes, it works out for the better. Other than that, it just describes the three of them.
"Live in Living Color" from Catch Me If You Can
This perfectly describes Dill. Like I said with another song last week, if you listen to one song on this soundtrack, listen to this one. Can't you just see him singing this?
"I've Decided to Marry You" from A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder is a musical; a comedy, to be exact. Remember Scout and Dill's "engagement"? I picked this one for that, but also to describe their games, and how funny they are when you read them. This song is hilarious, as is the entire musical. Here's a link to their performance at The Tony Awards.
"Free" by Zac Brown Band
This, I imagine, is what everyone in Maycomb longs for: freedom. From poverty, and prejudice. (On Spotify, I included the violin intro.)
"Call Me" by Shinedown
This is Atticus saying that the town can call him whatever they want; he will still stand for what's right, and love his children.
"I Loved Her First" by Heartland
At the end of the book, Lee gets very nostalgic. So, this is what I imagine a future Atticus telling Scout and the man she will marry.
"Silver Haired Daddy of Mine" by Billie Joe + Norah (Everly Brothers cover)
In contrast to the song just above, this is a future Scout singing to a much older Atticus, telling him that she wishes she could have saved him the heartache the case caused him.
"Do You Hear the People Sing?" from Les Miserables
“Real courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.” 

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee on Spotify

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think of my playlist in the comments!
Goodbye for now,
Cassia

4 comments:

  1. What a great mix of songs! I need to re-read this book soon.

    I finally got mine up for today (Blogger would not let me add videos), so be sure to stop over and add your link! And thank you so much for participating. I think you're the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely will! Oh really? I really hope more people decide to do it. I love doing it :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I'm glad that you feature it here. I love seeing them! :)

      And I've got another one as of today. It's just so many people promised to participate but they still haven't, so it's annoying to wait for it to pick up. lol

      Delete
  2. Hey, Cassia! Because of all the hard work you've been putting into Soundtrack Saturday, I've nominated your blog for the Sisterhood of World Bloggers Award. If you're interested in doing it, check out my post!

    Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete