/>

November 26, 2014

BookBlogWriMo | Cheating on Books with Movies and TV


Welcome to Day 26 of BookBlogWriMo!

Today's topic is...

Our Favorite Movies and TV Shows

Tessa

Max and I have recently starting watching Doctor Who, the British television show produced by BBC. 

I know that most of you have probably already heard about this "low-budget, terrible British show," but that is so wrong. In reality, it is more complicated than that.


This GIF sums up the whole show...


It is really a complicated show, and definitely one that you have to watch all of the episodes to understand. Basically, the Doctor is an alien who travels in time with a human companion to save the universe with British accents. 

It is one of England's longest running television shows, and for good reasons. Honestly, it is seriously weird and messed up sometimes, but it also has its inspirational moments. There is plenty of action and a ton of humor, too.

If you are already a fan, then comment down below with your favorite Doctor and companion!


Cassia

During the summer, I started watching Big Brother. It's a game show that lasts for three months, and 24 young to middle-aged adults live together in the Big Brother House, totally cut off from the world. If something happens with their family, they notify them, but other than that, they know nothing. The goal of the game is to be the last one standing. Through a series of challenges, players can gain advantages. Every week, one person is eliminated. There are a lot of other rules, but those are the basics.

Tessa said I could talk about musicals, since I don't watch a whole lot of TV. :D

While I love the classics (Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Annie, etc.), here are a few newer musicals you should know about:


Love Never Dies -- The sequel to Phantom! While it doesn't go with the book at all, which I do not like, it is a beautiful musical. The soundtrack (the whole thing, actually, since it's a sing-through) is gorgeous, and if you thought Phantom was an emotional roller coaster, this is even more emotionally exhausting. [Note: The video above is the official music video for a song from the musical. It is not the actual staging, but the idea is still the same.)



Catch Me If You Can -- Yes, like the movie. The movie is based on the true story of Frank Abagnale, Jr. Let's just say that it's a fun, adventurous musical with big dance numbers. The video above is a music video for the opening number, "Live in Living Color." (You may have seen it on my Soundtrack Saturday for To Kill a Mockingbird.)


A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder -- This is a musical comedy about a man who, when he finds out that he is the heir to a family fortune, with eight relatives between him and the fortune, decides to get rid of them. And since you're all book people, you know what that means. But he does it in a comical way, with one actor playing all eight relatives. Add in two girls who want to marry him, and you have a hilarious comedy with a grand, beautiful score. At the 2014 Tony Awards, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder won the Tony for Best Musical. The video above is their performance of "I've Decided to Marry You" at the Tony's.

There are many other wonderful musicals that I love, these are only three of them. Maybe I'll do a post about it sometime. Oh, and for all you Harry Potter fans, here's the Tony Performance of "Brotherhood of Man," from How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.



4 comments:

  1. OH, I love Doctor Who! To some extent anyway, since I stopped watching it a while back. I think I will start again soon though. (Thank you for reminding me about the great show that is Doctor Who). I think my favorite doctor would be the 10th or 11th. And Amy Pond as a companion, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely start watching again! The newest season just ended, so you have time to catch up before the next one begins!

      Delete
  2. I used to live in Manhattan. I miss Broadway! Cate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I am a complete Whovian and will be all the way! David Tennant <3 Ooh, and I don't mind a good musical as well. Hairspray, West Side Story, Wicked... I have even seen The Phantom of the Opera on stage!

    ReplyDelete